Bug 1635

Summary: Add gummiboot as a grub-efi alternative (was Drop Grub for Syslinux/Gummiboot)
Product: [Build System, Metadata & Runtime] Meta-yocto Reporter: Song Liu <song.liu>
Component: meta-yoctoAssignee: Darren Hart <dvhart>
Status: VERIFIED FIXED QA Contact:
Severity: enhancement    
Priority: Medium+ CC: alexandru.c.georgescu, alexandrux.palalau, dvhart, jessica.zhang, jiajun.xu, poky.bs.watcher, poky.watcher, sgw
Version: unspecified   
Target Milestone: 1.6 M4   
Hardware: x86   
OS: Multiple   
Whiteboard: (Test Case Completed) Development
OS type for building Yocto: --- Type of Regression: ---
Verified: Documentation change: No (bug/feature does not impact docs)
Bug Depends on:    
Bug Blocks: 5518    

Description Song Liu 2011-10-04 22:14:43 UTC
Grub is considerably more complicated than we need for any of our current BSPs. Syslinux can be used in place of every known usage of Grub. For upcoming EFI BSPs, we can look to Efilinux. This will reduce our bootloader maintenance burden and simplify our images.
Comment 1 Jiajun Xu 2011-11-21 17:52:49 UTC
For QA plan, is it OK if we define a BSP list, which will use syslinux. And then when autobuilder build these BSPs, QA will check if syslinux is used for kernel loading.
Comment 2 Jiajun Xu 2011-11-28 00:10:56 UTC
Update the whiteboard, QA will check if syslinux is used for non-EFI loading.
Comment 3 Darren Hart 2012-05-01 15:53:04 UTC
We are waiting for Syslinux EFI to be developed/released. Until then, this is just a placeholder.
Comment 4 Darren Hart 2012-05-02 21:54:22 UTC
I'm going to say that this bug should be for using syslinux during install rather than GRUB for the hddimg and iso images for Legacy PC BIOS. I will open another bug for Syslinux EFI integration which will come after Syslinux EFI is released. Reducing the sizing accordingly.
Comment 5 Darren Hart 2013-02-28 05:03:48 UTC
This needs to be done earlier in the release cycle. As much as I would like to see this done for 1.4, I'm moving it to 1.5 and feel it should be completed for M1 or M2.
Comment 6 Alexandru Georgescu 2013-12-20 10:56:27 UTC
Hi Darren,
Any update on this? Also, can you update the Target milestone to adjust the QA planning as well.

Thanks!
Comment 7 Darren Hart 2014-03-05 22:10:10 UTC
Moving to M4 just in case, but ultimately, I think this one is likely to move to 1.7 as it includes changing the installer. But, there is a chance we can complete it for 1.6 M4.
Comment 8 Alexandru Palalau 2014-03-24 16:45:54 UTC
Hi guys,

I've seen some patches on master regarding Gummiboot sent by Stefan Stanacar.
Any more work that needs to be done in order for me to verify this feature?
Or maybe we should wait for full switch of the boot manager?
Thanks
Comment 9 Darren Hart 2014-04-08 15:25:04 UTC
We have gummiboot recipes and the ability to build with gummiboot. We just haven't replaced grub, as is stated in the subject. However, this is a  BSP-level decision - e.g. meta-intel, meta-ti, meta-fsl, etc.

I'm renaming this to "Add gummiboot as an alternative to grub" and closing. I'll open another to make the installer gummiboot aware and add it to 1.7.
Comment 10 Alexandru Palalau 2014-04-23 08:23:56 UTC
Switching to verified.